- Open Access
- Open Peer Review
Commentary on: “Focal cryosurgical ablation of the prostate: A single institute’s perspective”
© Metwalli and Pinto; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2013
- Received: 22 March 2013
- Accepted: 21 June 2013
- Published: 2 August 2013
The morbidity of whole gland treatment for prostate cancer is significant. Given the low risk of prostate cancer specific mortality for most men diagnosed with prostate cancer, alternative therapies such as sub-total or hemi-ablation of the prostate and focal ablation of prostate tumors are being investigated. The developing role of imaging for prostate tumors will dramatically change and likely improve the treatment morbidity for low risk prostate tumors. Commentary on: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2490/13/2.
- Prostate cancer
- Image guided surgery
First author: Adam R Metwalli.
Second author: Peter A Pinto.
- Hale Z, Miyake M, Palacios DA, Rosser CJ: Focal cryosurgical ablation of the prostate: a single institute’s perspective. BMC Urol. 2013, 13: 2-10.1186/1471-2490-13-2.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Ghai S, Toi A: Role of transrectal ultrasonography in prostate cancer. Radiol Clin N Am. 2012, 50 (6): 1061-1073. 10.1016/j.rcl.2012.08.007.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lawrentschuk N, Toi A, Lockwood GA, Evans A, Finelli A, O’Malley M, Margolis M, Ghai S, Fleshner NE: Operator is an independent predictor of detecting prostate cancer at transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy. J Urol. 2009, 182 (6): 2659-2663. 10.1016/j.juro.2009.08.036.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hoang AN, Volkin D, Yerram NK, Vourganti S, Nix J, Linehan WM, Wood B, Pinto PA: Image guidance in the focal treatment of prostate cancer. Curr Opin Urol. 2012, 22 (4): 328-335. 10.1097/MOU.0b013e32835482cc.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Oto A, Sethi I, Karczmar G, McNichols R, Ivancevic MK, Stadler WM, Watson S, Eggener S: MR imaging-guided focal laser ablation for prostate cancer: phase I trial. Radiology. 2013Google Scholar
- Yerram NK, Volkin D, Turkbey B, Nix J, Hoang AN, Vourganti S, Gupta GN, Linehan WM, Choyke PL, Wood BJ, et al: Low suspicion lesions on multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging predict for the absence of high-risk prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2012Google Scholar
- Ahmed HU, Hindley RG, Dickinson L, Freeman A, Kirkham AP, Sahu M, Scott R, Allen C, Van der Meulen J, Emberton M: Focal therapy for localised unifocal and multifocal prostate cancer: a prospective development study. The lancet oncology. 2012, 13 (6): 622-632. 10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70121-3.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Bahn D, de Castro Abreu AL, Gill IS, Hung AJ, Silverman P, Gross ME, Lieskovsky G, Ukimura O: Focal cryotherapy for clinically unilateral, low-intermediate risk prostate cancer in 73 men with a median follow-up of 3.7 years. Eur Urol. 2012, 62 (1): 55-63. 10.1016/j.eururo.2012.03.006.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Barret E, Ahallal Y, Sanchez-Salas R, Galiano M, Cosset JM, Validire P, Macek P, Durand M, Prapotnich D, Rozet F, et al: Morbidity of focal therapy in the treatment of localized prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2013, 63 (4): 618-622. 10.1016/j.eururo.2012.11.057.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- The pre-publication history for this paper can be accessed here:http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2490/13/39/prepub
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.